Poland (2004-2006): Continuation of the implementation of the European Water Framework Directive (WFD)
Continuation of the implementation of the European Water Framework Directive (WFD)
July 2004 - September 2006
BENEFICIARY: Ministry of Environment, Poland
FUNDING: European Commission
IOWater led this twinning project PL03/IB/EN02 with the contribution of external experts from the water administration, water agencies and BRGM.
The overall objective was to provide institutional and technical support for the implementation of the WFD, in particular on the following aspects:
- improvement of the preparation of river basins management plans and programs of measures, with special emphasis on economic analysis;
- assistance with the implementation of the principle of cost recovery into water pricing policies;
- development of public participation activities all through the preparation process of management plans;
- enforcement of international cooperation in international basins.
All activities were tested on a pilot basin located in the Upper-Vistula region. Results were transferred to other basins through an extensive capacity building program.
Development of a one-year pilot basin experience covering the following activities:
- refining pressures/impact analysis and risk-assessment
- identifying main water management issues
- preparing a draft program of measures using cost-effectiveness analysis
- cost-recovery analysis
- testing consultation of stakeholders and public participation
Drawing up of guidance documents based on the results of the tests and adapted to the polish context.
Organization of workshops and training courses to transfer guidance and methodologies to other river basins.
All the versions of this article: [English] [français]
In the same section
- Countries of Eastern Europe, Caucasus of Central Asia: (...)
- Poland (1999-2001): Water Component of Twinning (...)
- Bulgaria (1999-2001): Water component of Twinning (...)
- Romania (1999-2001): Twinning agreement in the water (...)
- Estonia (1999-2001): River Basin Management
- Slovenia (2000-2001): Water Component of Twinning (...)
- Hungary (2000-2001): Water Component of Twinning (...)
- Czech Rep. (2001-2002): Implementation of the Nitrates (...)
- Romania (2001-2003): Environmental cost evaluation and (...)
- Bulgaria (2001-2002): Creation of basin organisation
- Czech Republic (2002-2004): Support to the implementation
- Bulgaria (2002-2003): Transposition of the Directives (...)
- Hungary (2002-2004): Support to the Implementation of (...)
- Slovenia (2002-2003): Introduction and assistance in (...)
- Estonia (2003-2005): Implementation of EU Directives